The Last Weekend - An Approach to the Final Weeks of Pregnancy

Tuesday, September 5, 2017


Here we are - the final weeks of pregnancy.
The postpartum kit is made, labor stuff gathered, prayer intentions getting compiled. The preparations for a birth are a good distraction from the waiting game for a good while, but they end eventually.

So what is there left to do? We make these last weeks, when we could be sitting around twiddling our thumbs waiting for contractions to hit, into an adventure. I call it "The Last Weekend".

Getting to see the T. Rex. in the Life Sciences building at UC Berkeley the day before Therese was born.

The basic premise is approaching each weekend we have before baby is born as potentially the last weekend. The physical fact is I'm not getting any more comfortable just sitting around at home. Last Weekend means I have to get up and get moving.


At Fort Snelling labeling herself a malingerer in the guard house.
Her other options were thief or deserter. I'd go with malingerer too. 
Last Weekend gives us opportunity as a family to have those bigger adventures we might not be able to do for a few months with a newborn. John now associates the last weeks before a baby sibling is born as "adventure time with Mom and Dad". 

I want them to think of having a new sibling as a positive thing. My attention is very divided in the early weeks with a new baby, so this opportunity to embrace my kids as they are right now is a gift that is not going to come around again.

Minnesota State Fair. Corn dogs and fried oreos were had, and both had their first time on a ferris wheel.
The Last Weekend adventures do not need to be expensive. You might have noticed by now that I call anything out of our usual routine an "adventure". 
That means walking down the street to the pond is an adventure.
Trying out a new park is an adventure.
Having a picnic and camp out in the backyard is an adventure.

It's all about perspective.

Do you do anything special with older siblings before a new baby is born?

2 comments :

  1. I think this is such a great way to add festivity to the end of pregnancy and not get stir crazy! I will definitely keep this in mind for whenever I get pregnant down the road, especially since I have a little guy I'll have to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soooo much more a thing with wiggly older kids in the mix! With John we still managed to drive up in the hills with friends to see the Golden Gate Bridge anniversary fireworks, but I value the distraction element more now.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS